The Good Life in
Grundy Center
City Hall
Community Center
City Council and Mayor
Kling Memorial Library
Planning and Zoning
Public Works
Swimming Pool
Tree Board

Grundy Center Chamber of Commerce
Grundy Center Utilities

Grundy Center Police Department

Frequently asked questions

Where is the Grundy Center Police Department?

The Police Department is located at the northeast corner or back side of the Grundy Center City Hall/Community Center. Office hours are 7 am to 4:30 pm. An officer is on duty even when the office is closed. Weekends and after hours call 319-824-6933

Where do you keep prisoners and does the dispatcher work there?

Prisoners and all dispatch operations, including 911, are located in the Grundy County Law Enforcement Center located at 703 8th St.. The LEC provides 24 hr communications coordination for the Police Department, the Grundy County Sheriff, and all of the individual community fire and ambulance crews in Grundy County. The communication system allows these agencies to interact with law enforcement and medical entities in other counties as needed.

Is the Grundy Center Police Department currently hiring?

Any openings with the Grundy Center Police Department would be advertised in the Grundy Register, the Waterloo Courier, trade publications, and posted at Hawkeye Community College. Applications would be sent to the Grundy Center Police Department at 703 F Ave, Suite 2, Grundy Center, IA 50638.

Does the Police Department have a Reserve program?

Yes, the Reserves meet on the first Wednesday of each month at the Police Department. Education, training and experience opportunities are available for qualified persons. Contact Captain Doug Frost at 319-825-6118 for more information

What are the curfew restrictions in Grundy Center?

Under Age 15:Sunday through Thursday 11:00 pm to 5 am
Friday through Saturday 12:00 to 5 am
Ages 15-17:Sunday through Thursday 12:00 to 5 am
Friday through Saturday 1:00 am to 5 am

For the full ordinance, please contact the City Clerk at City Hall, 703 F Ave, Suite 2, Grundy Center or 319-825-6118

Does the Police Department participate in activities within the schools?

Officers are available to do programs on a variety of subjects for students of all ages.

I need to be fingerprinted for a job application, professional license or other personal reasons. Where can I get this done?

Fingerprinting is done at the Grundy County Law Enforcement Center at 703 8th St in Grundy Center. Call 319-824-6933 for more information and an appointment.

How can I find out the condition of roads in Central Iowa?

The Iowa State Patrol offers a road report hotline at 1-800-288-1047. This service is updated as often as possible during periods of bad weather.

Who can I call for assistance if my electrical power goes off?

Grundy Center Utilities phone number is 319-825-5207. If there are wires down or it is an emergency, dial 911.

Who do I call for assistance with natural gas service?

People's Natural Gas 24-hr Emergency number is 1-800-303-0357. If you think you have a gas leak in your home, leave the residence and make the call from a safe place.

I received an obscene/harassing phone call. What should I do?

Iowa Telecom customers may call their nuisance call line at 1-877-914-4692.
Grundy Center Utilities customers should call 319-825-5207.

The Police Department needs to be contacted at 319-824-6933 to assign a case number and document the situation.

Is there anything I can do about all the Telemarketing calls I get?

If you are receiving what you believe are telemarketing or "hang-up" calls, they may be electronic dialing for telemarketing. You can have your name removed from many lists by sending a letter to:

Telephone Preference Service
Direct Marketing Association
PO Box 9014
Farmington, NY 11735-9014

Have your name removed from many junk mailing lists by sending a letter to:

Mail Preference Service
Direct Marketing Association
PO Box 9008
Farmington, NY 11735-9008

What is the phone number for the Grundy County Sheriff's Office?

You can contact the Grundy County Sheriff's Office at 319-824-6933. They are open 24-hours-a-day, everyday.

What is the phone number for the Iowa State Patrol in Des Moines?

You can contact the Iowa State Patrol at 515-246-8389. They are open 24-hours-a-day, everyday.

How can I obtain a copy of an incident or accident report?

The Grundy Center Police Department will provide copies of reports for insurance companies and others for a nominal fee. Please contact our office between 7 am and 4:30 pm weekdays at 319-825-6118.

Where can I go to obtain an Iowa Driver's License?

The Iowa Department of Transportation offers a local opportunity on the first and third Wednesdays of the month. On those days, they have an office in the Legion Room of the Community Center, 705 F Ave, Grundy Center. Their hours are from 9:15 am to 4:30 pm. Motorcycle testing is at 1:00pm. In Waterloo, the Drivers License Station at Crossroads Mall is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:45 pm. In Eldora, the Hardin County Courthouse Drivers License Station is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 to 4:15.

Who issues School Permits and what are the rules for using them?

School permits are issued by the school district where the student attends school. The Grundy Center Schools Superintendent's office is located at 1301 12th St, Grundy Center, IA 50638. Their phone number is 319-824-5418. School License Guidelines are available from the Iowa Department of Transportation Drivers License Office, 2060 Crossroads Blvd, Waterloo, IA 50701 or by calling 319-235-0902.

Where do I go to pay a City of Grundy Center parking ticket?

The City Clerk's office is located in City Hall at 703 F Ave, Suite 2, Grundy Center, IA 50638. You may pay the ticket by mail, but please don't send cash through the mail.

Where can I pay a traffic ticket?

Traffic tickets are handled through the Clerk of Court's office. If you simply have to pay the ticket, and an appearance is not required, you can either mail or bring the appropriate copy of the ticket, plus the fine to the Clerk of Court's Office, Grundy County Court House, 706 G Ave, Grundy Center, IA 50638. If the ticket was issued in Grundy County, the procedure would be the same. Citations issued outside of Grundy County can not be handled at this office.

Where can I get information about the city's parking regulations?

You may contact the City Clerk at 319-825-6118 or visit City Hall for help with this matter. If you have a parking problem that needs immediate attention, contact the Police Department at 319-824-6933.

What is the policy on using a burn barrel in Grundy Center?

Ordinance 442 - Burning in an approved container is allowed only on Wednesday of each week between the hours of 6 am and 6 pm. Fires must be extinguished by 6 pm. A permit must be obtained and specific requirements for container and location must be followed. For an application and the complete ordinance, please contact the City Clerk at City Hall, 703 F Ave, Suite 2, Grundy Center, or call 319-825-6118.

What is the City Snow Ordinance and when does it go into effect?

Ordinance 69.13 - When snowfall on the residential streets of the City has accumulated to a level of two (2) inches or more, it is unlawful for any person to park, abandon or leave unoccupied or unattended any vehicle on the residential street until such street has been completely plowed from curb to curb. This section also applies to all designated parking lots in the city.

[Home] [City Hall] [Community Center]  [City Council/Mayor]
[Kling Memorial Library] [Planning & Zoning] [Police]
[Public Works] [Recreation] [Swimming Pool]
[Tree Board] [Questions] [Webmaster]

March 28, 2002